Thursday, October 9, 2008

Is a true friend a "yes" friend?

I don't think so. Telling people only what they want to hear can make a weak person weaker. A strong friend will be truthful -- even if that means saying something that isn't popular or easy to hear.

And here is a little gripe I have lately --

If you truly want advice, then accept what is offered to you, thank those who offer it and move on. If you would rather just state what you think so that others will agree with you and and give you kudos for a job well done, then fine. Say so. Don't disguise it as a looking for advice.

It seems like there are so many people who think

What should I do? = Tell me what I already did was right.

End of gripe session today.
:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a bad habit of saying what I think... sometimes when it isn't appropriate.

So, when a friend is being a dipsh*t, I let them know ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, I tend to give sincere advice if someone asks for it. If someone doesn't want my advice, but seems to ask for it, sometimes I can't tell! If they didn't want my advice, then why did they ask? Sometimes, however, asking for advice is actually a rhetorical question. And sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing between the rhetorical question and the sincere request. Of course you aren't a bad friend. You aren't trying to be malicious.

And... you are here asking for advice or maybe just support for your actions. All I can offer is my experience, summarized above. So am I a bad friend for not giving you exactly what you asked for?

Anonymous said...

I just reread your post. You weren't asking for jackshit. Just an ear. Well, I gave you an earfull. Please forgive.

Miss Jodi said...

You are forgiven.
xoxo!