Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What's up with Christmas Music?

It really hasn't been a secret that I can't seem to get into the Christmas Spirit this year. I'm not a Scrooge or anything, I just can't seem to get into the swing of the season. It's probably because I'm not in choir this year, or maybe it's because we are not buying bunches and bunches of presents (we opted for one big family gift) but, regardless of the reason, I am not quite into it this year.

So while I've been working around the house or in my office, I've been forcing myself to listen to the all Christmas songs station (Lite 104). It has seemed to be helping a little. Since I've been listening to this station for about 2 days now, I have manged to hear their playlist in it's entirety about 6 times. And I've realized that I'm a bigger snob than I had originally thought.

Yes, I'll admit it. I am a Christmas music snob. To me, the very best Christmas albums are Bing Crosby, Julie Andrews and of course, Dean Martin. And nothing tops the college choir concerts (Luther, St. Olaf, Wartburg, etc.) I'm not crazy about jazzed up carols. Why mess with greatness?

And what is up with all of these sexy Christmas songs? "Get out the mistletoe ... I want to get to know you better..." What? and that one with Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers singing about making it a Christmas to remember - and you know they ain't talking about how great that egg nog was -- if you know what I mean. I don't know about you all, but to me, nothing says "let's celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior" like a sexy song about rubbing a loved one down with mistletoe oil.

Well I had better go fix dinner. I'll get to the kitchen and turn on the radio and listen to Amy Grant sing "Angel's We have Heard On High" and cry (not in a happy way, but in a music teacher way.)

But I do have to admit - it is putting me in a Christmas mood.

I actually put the tree up and hung some lights. I also made cookie dough so that we will have something to do while it snows tomorrow.

But I have to tell you - If I hear Neil Diamond ruin "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" one more time, I think I may have a seizure.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I am having a hard time getting into the spirit too. We are not seeing my family until January so we only have to buy presents for Andrew, David and Linda and it feels so weird! The music helps me get into the Christmas spirit though! :) I like the older stuff too ;)